Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tale of Two Cattles.

I never really explained to my readers why I started a blog with a Sacramento focus. I grew up here, but truth be told, I never had much Sacramento pride in my early days.  In fact, I was quite eager to get out of town at the turn of the tassel. 

With a head full of memories from life in the bay area, east coast, midwest, and southern California, Ive finally developed what is now a very deep appreciation for my city.

While I call it my hometown, others call it a cowtown.  How or when this mockery originated I cant be sure. I always attribute the nickname to the NBA finals (circa 2000?) when Kings fans were ridiculed for ringing cow bells to distract the opposing team. 

The web defines 'cowtown' as synonomous with 'hick town'.  I dont know where these name callers are hanging out, but my Sacramento (especially in recent years), has a little more sophistication.  So sophisticated in fact, that we've proudly embraced our insult and hosted a long successful marathon event of the same title.

This year's Sacramento Cowtown Marathon took place this morning in William Land Park at 7:30am! Though technically the 5th annual, the history of the race dates back to 1977 under another name. 

I hadnt prepared for the 26.2 or the 13.1, so I ran the Cowtown 5k. You couldnt ask for a more serene atmosphere than Land Park. Burnt orange leaves falling listlessly into the dewy grass. Birds fluttering in the duck pond.  Architecturally classic homes whispering "old money" through their grand pillars, second story balconys and open shutters.

I jogged with my dear friend Whitney and finished in about 30 minutes.  Pretty good for an old heifer like me.

Here are some snapshots of my adventure....

 











Somewhere around mile 1.5, Mayor Kevin Johnson caught up to me and said hello (we go way back you know). At the finish line, he asked me for a picture.




To all my Sacramento bull-ies, MOOOOOVE over, this little city aint so bad.

2 comments:

  1. You are really an excellent writer, I'm always impressed with your unique descriptions and way with words. Great entry! Sactown pride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Sacramentans (?) have us bay area folks to thank for the new found sophistication. Believe me, it hasn't always been this nice. My girlfriend moved here in the early 90s and it sucked but it was cheap and housing was affordable. Many bay area folks started moving here and buying property (driving up the costs too). I can say now that the city has grown and downtown has had a much needed makeover. It's a process.

    ReplyDelete