Friday, September 4, 2009

The Classics


I am a lover of the classics. A classic is timeless. It is constant. It is wise. There is simply something magnetic about it. It has outlasted both time and trend. It is a deep cavern of societal and personal history. Its beauty never fades.

Behind the antique, are the qualities of a classic. Despite the many coats of paint it has worn; the many hands it has changed, or the many scuffs it has endured, it retains its unique and lavish detail.
I can recall the countless weekends of my childhood spent inside antique shops. The smell of cigars and aged potpourri still linger in my memory. I didnt understand my mother's fanscination with "old things", but each passing year brings greater appreciation for these little mementos of history. Symbols of a time when things were made to last; or simply for the joy of fine craftsmanship.

After a filling lunch at the Beach Hut Cafe on J and 24th, Tanya and I went on what I like to call an "antique boutique" adventure. When we stumbled upon Tina's One Stop Shop, I wasnt particularly impressed (although they did have an extensive collection of vintage issues of LIFE magazine). Just in time, however, I realized Tina's has a furniture gallery in the adjacent storefront.

I was so overwhelmed by the potential of each piece that I went back to today and bought four items. Im already envisioning their placement in my home once Ive refurbished them. Although, a classic needs very little improvement.

Im afraid Ive become a lover of antique furniture. But there should be no shame in it. I quote Valentino: "I love beauty, its not my fault".

2 comments:

  1. 1) gorgeous piece 2) well said 3) i didn't know you liked antiques! i used to watch antique roadshow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love antiques too! I get lost in the stores forever. You should check out the antique mall at 57 and H! ALSO there is the Second Sunday Antique Fair, under the freeway. It's awesome! Let me know if you ever need another shopping buddy!

    ReplyDelete